My first recipe! And the best part is this one’s fully paleo and SO delicious.
My roommate and I have finally settled into our new place (even though we moved in way back in September), fully furnished and decorated. We had a housewarming party a few months ago but we’ve been meaning to invite our parents over for a nice meal and give them a chance to get to know each other better. My roommate and I have been friends for years but I don’t think our parents have spent much time together even though they share many common interests (mostly golf-related).
We decided to take my new crock pot on its maiden voyage with come simple chicken. I promise, it is simple, even if it looks like this meal takes a bit of effort—let’s be honest, those are the best meals to make.
We served this dish with:
- Cranberry and lemon infused water
- Spinach salad
- Paleo Avocado Cilantro Dressing (so good)
- French bread with olive oil and balsamic for dipping*
*It’s important to remember that even if you’re trying to be paleo, your guests might not be. Many people assume grains are a staple of a meal so they could be expecting you to serve something. If you didn’t specify that your meal was going to be paleo when you invited them, it might be nice to put out an option or two. A French baguette was a quick and easy option because I could just pick up a fresh one from the bakery.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 apples (I used golden delicious)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 white onion
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove any fat from chicken then salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the onion in half and then cut each half into quarters
- Cut apples into ¼ inch thick slices
- Lightly oil the stoneware of a 4qt crock-pot
- Put four of the onion chunks on the base of the slow cooker
- Place three chicken breasts on top, taking care not to overlap them
- Drizzle ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar, coating each chicken breast
- Add 1 cup of cranberries and 1-2 pressed garlic cloves
- Repeat the process, layering onions, chicken breast, balsamic, cranberries, and garlic
- Cover with lid and cook on high for 3 hours
- Add apples to the slow cooker when there is about half an hour left for the chicken to cook. Try not to layer the apples too much so that each slice is touching the ingredients below
Be as casual or as classy as you like but I always enjoy a well-plated dish (I may or may not watch too much Chopped and MasterChef…). But be sure to include the cranberries and apples when you serve the chicken, they’re the stars of this dish!
Enjoy! And be sure to let me know how yours turned out in the comments!